Friday, January 1, 2016

Getting to London

Yesterday, we took the Eurostar, the high-speed train that connects Paris and London and goes through the English channel.  It took about 2.5 hours and was an extremely pleasant way to travel. As with airplane tickets, the cheaper tickets get sold out ahead of time, leaving only the pricier ones for last minute folks.  Thankfully, I bought our tickets months ago, for $94/person. 

We had our own little 4-person seating area.  You can bring food and drink on board, or you can also purchase items on the train.  The train goes through green rolling countryside, dotted with little villages.  The underwater part of the trip only lasts about 20 minutes.

In London, we settled into our 2-bedroom, 2-bath apartment (thank goodness--one bathroom was not easy for 4 people to share, and Lisa, I don't know how you grew up with 7 people in a house with one bathroom).  The apartment is really lovely, comfortable, warm, and spacious.  Although I liked our apartment in Paris, I picked it mostly for its location.  Our London apartment is more upscale, but the location, while not bad, is probably not quite as convenient as the one in Paris.  It's a trade off.


Steve and I closed out 2015 in a pub nearby with a pint and a glass of Malbec.  The girls did not want to come with us.  We were all pretty tired and went to bed way before midnight.  I think Steph went to bed around 7pm, Adrienne at 8pm, and Steve and I at 9pm. We are only drunken revelers in our dreams.

2 comments:

  1. It sounds like you guys are still making the most of your time! Good planning, Meem! I can see, though, how it would be tiring and you might want a complete day to just chill and read. But when you don't have many days, you don't want to waste one!

    I don't know either how I grew up with 7 people and one bathroom. Lots of sibling fights no doubt.

    The Malbec looks delicious! Keep up the good chronicling -- what a great way to look back and remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts, Lis. Tomorrow, it's supposed to rain the entire day. That might be a good day to chill out, knit and listen to the rest of my Serial podcast.

      Delete