Sunday, January 3, 2016

Hodge Podge Day

One of the (many) challenges of traveling with family members is that we don't always share the same interests.  So today, we split up into all sorts of configurations, so we could do the things we wanted to do without having to drag others to places they have no interest in.

We had fantastic weather in Paris, and although there has been some rain since we've been in London, today was the only day where it rained pretty much the entire day. Partially from the weather and partially from just wanting to relax, Stephanie opted to stay home today, which I also found tempting but resisted joining her in doing.


Meanwhile, Adrienne has a long laundry list of museums and galleries she wants to visit.  Several times, both here in London and in Paris, she has taken off on her own to tackle her list.  She is so used to city life now after having lived in Boston for the past couple years, it's impressive how quickly and easily she navigates the streets and subway systems.  She's very confident about getting around, and we don't really worry about her.  Here she is in a vintage coat she bought in Paris for 20 euros.

Steve and I went to St. Paul's Cathedral this morning.  Being that it was Sunday, if you visit during one of their worship services, it's free.  If you go in at another time, it's 18 pounds ($26 USD).

We went for the Choral Mattins service.  The singing and the sound quality were angelic.  I wasn't supposed to take photos, but I sneaked one anyway.

After that, we walked across the Millennium Bridge, which is a pedestrian footbridge crossing the Thames.  It opened in 2000 and promptly closed the same day because it was "wobbly".  It took them 2 years to make it not wobbly, hence it reopened in 2002.  I love how this photo shows the old architecture of London rising up behind this ultra-sleek modern bridge.

The tall pointy skyscraper is The Shard, and to the very left edge of the photo is the Tower Bridge, which I unwittingly cut in half when taking the photo.

We stopped off at Tate Modern Museum because it was right there in front of us and free besides.  It's a great museum, and we probably would have spent more time there if we weren't already so museumed-out.  Here's a shot of Andy Warhol's famous Marilyn Diptych.

After the museum, Steve and I parted ways.  He headed back to the apartment to have lunch with Steph, and I went back to my favorite store, Liberty London, so I could shop to my heart's content.  I bought a few small items to give to our pet caretakers and got myself a little drinking cup for about 8 pounds.  Ha ha, I'm a big spender.  I couldn't bring myself to buy any fabric.  Even though I love looking at it, I have no idea what I would make with it.


But my true solo indulgence was having Korean food at Bibigo.  I got my favorite, bibimbab.  No one else in my family is too crazy about Korean food, so I only buy it when I'm on my own.  Even though Bibigo's version is fairly inauthentic, I really enjoyed it anyway.  Mmmmmm.

2 comments:

  1. Best post yet, I think! Was Bibigo bibimbap similar to the Bibigo in Beverly Hills we went to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was probably the same as in Beverly Hills. I got it with tofu, but it didn't have the usual egg on top. It did come with a little container of kochujang. I got the lunch special which included a salad with lentils (I didn't even know Koreans ate lentils) and a jeejim pancake. There was no kimchee included.

      Delete